Friday, January 23, 2009

Clements: Week 1 Response

I felt that the video "Growing Up Online," while valuable, was overly dramatic. Yes, there are some serious risks when using the Internet, however, I feel that it is the responsibility of the parent to educate their child about these risks prior to providing access. Perhaps my views will change when I have children of my own, but I think it is unacceptable to blame a lack of awareness or not having grown up with technology to justify ignorance. If you are willing to bring it into the lives of your children, you must take the time to educate yourselves on the risks, the types of sites out there, social networking, and other communications that exist.

The amount in which we rely on technology is definitely something I feel needs to be addressed...It seems that people are constantly needing to be connected via cellphones, texting, email, instant messaging etc. While I appreciate the ability the Internet provides in allowing us to interact with people from other parts of the world and the accessibility to a plethora of information, I feel our reliance on technology is ridiculous. Where is the balance? It seems as though the majority of communication is straying away from face-to-face conversation. How will today's children be able to interact outside the confines of their computers and cellphones when they enter the world of work? I believe the need for constant gratification has made us less patient and more irritable.

To sum it all up, I think that the Internet and other technology are amazing tools. They allows for rich educational and personal experiences when
used properly. However, when they are used inappropriately or in excess the become detrimental to our well-being. As teachers it will be challenging to find ways to integrate the appropriate amount technology in our classrooms.

No comments: