Tuesday, April 7, 2009

DaVinci

Tallsman’s article brings up some really interesting points- particularly the idea of authenticity. She notes the difference between an authentic object and an authentic experience. She claims that in this day and age, authenticity has supplanted beauty as the primary criterion of value. This is definitely true- people tend to be so caught up and concerned in the authenticity or “realness” of an object/piece of art, that they fail to recognize and appreciate it’s beauty or aesthetic appeal.
Knowing Greenways films, I didn’t really now what to expect with the project. (Did anyone else see the Pillow Book? Its crazy!) I thought that a lot more of the personal voice of the director would be present, and I was pleased to see that it wasn’t! After watching the video, I became kind of fascinated with this piece and while I can see how some people might be opposed to altering such a monumental work of art, I personally found it to be both aesthetically pleasing and emotionally engaging. To my pleasant surprise, the projections seemed quite natural and harmonious when combined with the original work.

No comments: