Sunday, February 1, 2009

Reading #3

I was not aware of the cosmic shift that the TV advertising world was enduring. A few times as I fast forwarded through the commercials on my DVR recordings I thought, "I wonder what they are going to do when everyone has DVR and goes through these commercials?" The pressure Tivo puts on the advertising industry is probably also to blame in this situation. As consumers of mass media we want it now, livestreamed and without commercial interruption. I can't tell you how often I've cringed through the 10 second commercial clips that some other websites put before their videos. I think these advertising clips are so unbearable because I was introduced to online video clips via YouTube. Also there is a level of control you lose when you are literally stuck there watching these clips, unable to fast forward through them. Not being able to control the fast forwarding on video clips is tough, but I get through the day.
It is also extremely eerie how quickly I've personally adapted to all of this. I got DVR about a year ago and I feel helpless when I forget to schedule my Top Chef recordings. I got a cell phone when I was 18, already away at college. I feel panicked when I forget my phone like I am going to miss something important. I get home and I have a missed call and two texts of, "hey what's up?" We pine for technology these days and it is interesting to see the shift the rest of the world must make in order to keep up with it all. Do you ever get the feeling that you are always behind in all of this?

No comments: